Obviously, I have not been posting as much as I normally do. It has a lot to do with major directions in front of me right now. It’s difficult for me to make the decision, because I am really not sure what I want to do or what the best course of action might be. So, I’m going to point out the decisions that are possible and what I think are the pros and cons surrounding each decision. Then, if you would all be so kind, I’d love to hear your insight:
Decision 1: Quit my current job and move home.
Pros: I can go back to what I am familiar – Colorado and the Denver- metro area. I would be home with my family and it would make people at home more comfortable was th me there.
Cons: There is no guaranteed income. I was out of work for almost 13 months, after being laid off for the oil and gas industry, and I have already been looking for work back home and having no luck in the past 4 months that I have been working in Wyoming. This would not be a very sustainable situation, in spite of the fact that I can find low paying jobs to scrape by. Ultimately, I know it would impact me, and my family, negatively before long.
Decision 2: Remain with the job I got and stay the course.
Pros: The compensation is great. I receive right at a six figure income and all of my health benefits are paid for by the company, plus I am able to invest in a 401(k) and the company matches up to 6% and I am fully vested after three years. There is huge opportunity for growth, since this operation is a startup to break into the U.S. market for a European Compnay. I have the chance to grow with this company.
Cons: It requires I relocate from Colorado to Wyoming – boring central Wyoming. Another drawback is that my wife is refusing to go and none of my kids want to move either. My wife has already stated that if I keep this job, I’ll be doing it alone. Granted, there have been times when she has flirted with the idea of moving, but to her it means leaving my two oldest kids behind (they are adults). And even as I write this, it was interrupted by a phone call telling me how much I’d rather be here than with her…sigh….
Anyways, I also don’t find myself stimulated on an intellectual level. It’s challenging in other ways, but there is something missing for me…Granted, it might be moral support, but something is missing.
Decision 3: I’ve just received an offer from an engineering consulting company that serves the pharmaceutical industry.
Pros: It allows me the chance to see a different industry. Since, the position is a Project Manager, then I will be able to list that as a credential on my resume. The position will have me commute to L.A. every week Mon – Fri and home on weekends for about a year. After the year, I’ll be home and assigned to an office in Colorado.
Cons: Their offer is less compensation than the company I am currently working at. For example, there is no retirement fund, insurance is covered at half the rate I am able to get in the insurance market place, and the pay is $10,000/yr. less than I am making now. This job will also require me to start on Tuesday and I won’t be able to give a customary 2 week notice for resignation.
Decision 4: Stay with the job in decision 2, but continue to look for work at home.
Pros: Essentially the same as decision 2, with the caveat of finding a job at home means I get what I want.
Cons: The same as decision 2.
This has weighed on my mind pretty heavily and I am frustrated that I’m not getting any direction from my wife on what would make her happy. She seems to think that everything would be okay, if I just did decision 1, but we have so many bills, it’s not feasible.
I know what direction I am leaning right now, but I am not sure what is best. I’m kind of curious what you all might think.